Bottle of Terramycin with original contents and original carton, England, 1964-1966

Made:
1964-1966 in Folkestone
maker:
Pfizer Limited

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Bottles of "Terramycin" and propylene glycol, with contents and teat-pipette and instructions in original carton, by Pfizer Ltd., English, c. 1965.

After the discovery of penicillin, other antibiotics were developed. These were generally based on chemicals produced by micro-organisms – like the mould which produced penicillin. In 1949, the drug company Pfizer developed ‘Terramycin’, a brand name for the multipurpose antibiotic whose later generic name was ‘Oxytetracycline’.

Details

Category:
Medical Glass-ware
Object Number:
A640338
Materials:
bottle, glass, cap, metal, cap, plastic, cap, rubber, carton, paper
type:
oxytetracycline
status:
Loan: Wellcome Trust

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.