Twisted glass stirring rod, light green 'nailsea' glass, 1750-1900, Phoenix Glasworks, Bristol
The purpose of this laboratory stirring rod is unknown. It appears unnecessarily elaborate. It is made of hand-blown molten glass. This is twisted while red hot to produce the characteristic swirling design.
The Romans introduced glassmaking to Bristol. They made it a specialist trade within the city. Over 20 glassmaking companies were established in the city during the 1700s, trading worldwide through Bristol’s extensive maritime contacts.
- Laboratory Medicine
- Object Number:
- laboratory stirrer
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- Puttick and Simpson Limited
- Loan: Wellcome Trust
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.