Cash book used to record payments made to patients as part of incentive scheme for occupational therapy
St. Audry’s Hospital, Suffolk recorded payments made to patients in this book. This was part of an incentive scheme for occupational therapy. The hospital opened in 1829, originally as the Suffolk County Asylum for Pauper Lunatics. Early on, it had used manual labour such as gardening or laundry work as therapy. In the 1900s, it began using more expressive therapies such as arts and crafts as rehabilitation. It introduced occupational therapy for men in 1934 and for women in 1947. This empty payments book indicates patients could only work in three-hour blocks. All monies were signed for by patient and nursing staff.
- Psychology, Psychiatry & Anthropometry
- Object Number:
- account book
- visual and verbal communication
- record - document
- financial record
- bookkeeping record
- East Suffolk Health Authority
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.