Electromagnet for extraction of metal from the eye, steel, brass and wood, probably British, c. 1940
This special electromagnet was used to attract any metal fragments that had become lodged in the eye, bringing them to the surface and making them easier to remove surgically. Metal may have got into the eye by accident, either at work or in the home, although given that this device was probably made in 1940 it is likely to have been used to treat those injured by wartime bombing.
Machines like this were invented around the 1870s and were introduced into hospitals in the 1900s. This instrument was used at the London Hospital, Whitechapel, now known as The Royal London Hospital after being granted a royal charter in 1990.
- Object Number:
overall (head): 275 mm,
overall (base): 580 mm, 122 kg
- London Hospital (Whitechapel)
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.