12 inch cathode ray tube, 1968. Cathode ray tubes were used in experiments designed by Sir Joseph John Thomson (1856-1940) to measure the ratio of the electric charge carried by cathode rays in their mass. Thomson showed that cathode rays were streams of particles, not electromagnetic radiation as many other scientists had believed. These particles are now known as electrons and his work is regarded as the discovery of the electron.
- Glass Technology
- Object Number:
- Pilkington Bros. Ltd. (Museum)
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.