Small rectangular homeopathic medicine case containing 12 labelled phials of homeopathic preparations, case covered in black leatherette, made by Leath and Ross, London, with a book by Dr. Laurie "Homeopathic Guide for family use", published in London, 1880-1910
Twelve labelled glass bottles and a book on homeopathic medicine are contained in this homeopathic medicine chest. The book is entitled ‘Homeopathic Guide for family use’. It was published in 1854 by Dr Laurie. The chest was made by chemists Leath and Ross of London. The chest and its contents were for home use.
Dr Frederick Quin brought homeopathy to Britain in 1830. He established the London Homeopathic Hospital in 1849. There were over 80 homeopathic practitioners in London by about 1870. There was friction with the traditional medical establishment. However, pharmacists quickly exploited interest in the new remedies.
- Materia Medica & Pharmacology
- Object Number:
overall (closed): 32 mm x 120 mm x 89 mm, .156 kg
book: 12 mm x 76 mm x 109 mm,
overall (open): 104 mm x 120 mm x 179 mm,
- homeopathic medicine
- furnishing and equipment
- furnishing - artefact
- case furniture
- Loan: Wellcome Trust
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.