Steam locomotive, North Eastern Railway, 2-2-4T No 66, "Aerolite", designed by Edward Fletcher, built at Gateshead in 1869, withdrawn in 1933.
Aerolite is a tank engine, the last of the standard-gauge two-cylinder compounds to survive in this country.
The original Aerolite, built by Kitson, was exhibited at the Great Exhibition in 1851 but destroyed in a collision. This replacement was built in 1869 as a 2-2-2 well-tank, and was rebuilt subsequently in 1886, 1892 and 1902. It became, for a period, a 4-2-2 tank before assuming its present wheel arrangement. It was in its present form that it lasted longest, being used to haul the departmental saloons around the NER and LNER North-Eastern area until it was withdrawn in 1933.
- Locomotives and Rolling Stock
- Object Number:
- steam locomotive
- vehicles and vehicle components
- British Rail, Clapham
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.