Steam locomotive, Stockton & Darlington Railway, 0-6-0 No 25 "Derwent", designed by Timothy Hackworth, built by W & A Kitching of Darlington in 1845, withdrawn in 1898.
Although the last engines designed by Timothy Hackworth for the Stockton & Darlington Railway were built in 1842, his designs still continued to affect the type of engine on the line. ‘Derwent’ was built at Darlingto in 1845 and delivered to the Stockton & Darlington Railway later that year.
Amongst the Hackworth features retained in Derwent’s design were the steeply inclined cylinders, cast iron plug wheel, and to some extent the combined flu and return multitubular boiler. Interestingly, coal was burnt in these Hackworth boilers, despite the fact that most attempts to burn coal in ordinary fireboxes during this period ended in failure.
After many years’ service on the railway it was purchased by Messrs Pease & Partners for use on their private lines. Derwent was present at the George Stephenson Centenary Exhibition at Newcastle in 1881, and then in 1898 was gifted to the North Eastern Railway and displayed at Darlington station alongside Locomotion No.1. Derwent also took part in the procession of engines at the Railway Centenary celebrations of 1925.
- Locomotives and Rolling Stock
- Object Number:
- steam locomotive
- vehicles and vehicle components
- British Rail, Add. not known
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.