Trophy, silver cup, by Robinson Edkins and Aston, Birmingham
Trophy, silver cup, by Robinson Edkins and Aston, Birmingham, 1834, campana-shaped wirework, presented to John Bagshaw MP by the Directors of the Northern & Eastern Railway, 5 August 1836
Parliamentary approval has always been necessary for the construction of public railway lines in the UK, and is more easily obtained with the support of an influential MP. This cup was presented by the Directors of the Northern & Eastern Railway to John Bagshaw MP on 5 August 1836, in appreciation of his support in gaining his approval for their line. This was a 53 mile route, at 5 foot gauge, from Islington to Cambridge. The NER was soon in financial trouble and the line was leased to the Eastern Counties Railway in 1844. The ECR completed the line, at standard gauge, from Shoreditch to Cambridge in 1845.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.