Poster, London Midland & Scottish Railway, Sulgrave Manor - The Great Dining Hall by Norman Wilkinson. Text: Sulgrave Manor, in Northants, the ancestral home of the Washington Family, was purchased by the British Peace Centenary Committee in 1914 "as a place of pilgrimage for Americans in England, and as a symbol of the kinship of the two Peoples." Originally the property of the Priory of St. Andrew, in 1539 it came into the possession of Lawrence Washington from whom Gen. Washington was 7th. in direct descent. The family lived there for over 100yrs. the original Washington Arms may by seen in the windows of the Great Dining Hall, and over the fireplace hangs a picture of George Washington by Gilbert Stuart. The Manor House is within easy reach of Northampton Station (LMS). Other ids: ERO 53351. Format: double royal.
- Railway Posters, Notices & Handbills
- Object Number:
- commercial records and equipment
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.