Garner lorry type WDL 6 1929, chassis no. 831208, engine no. 4MPV 22661. The six-wheeled lorry was introduced in the 1920s, designed to increase the payload whilst improving the ride and traction available. Their success relied upon the rear bogie which allowed individual wheels to navigate rough ground without affecting the axles or chassis frame. This bogie was designed in 1925 by Lt Col H Niblett of RASC and patented by the War Office, it wasn’t until May 1927 that it was eventually made available to the public for free. This lorry was made by Garner Motor Ltd in 1929 and uses the War Department bogie. It is a good example of an early six-wheeler with no differential fitted in the drive between the axles, but with a differential in each axle.
- Road Transport
- Object Number:
- military vehicles
- Timmins, G.E.
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.