Petrol-electric car, based on Fiat 8 H.P. open two-seater, 1927. The clutch and gearbox have been replaced by H K Whitehorn with the Tilling-Stevens petrol-electric transmission system which was patented by W.A.Stevens and P.F. Smith between 1906 and 1916. This system consists of a petrol engine driving a dynamo that supplies current to a motor which drives the rear wheels through a shaft and bevel arrangement. Whitehorn worked for Tilling-Stevens as their Chief Electrical Engineer, and in 1927 – after leaving Tilling-Stevens – he converted this car for his own use. In December 1911, a Tilling-Stevens bus had been launched in London. This was the beginning of a very lucrative venture. In addition to buses, the firm produced petrol-electrical generating devices. With advances in mechanical transmissions, and the advance of diesel for commercial vehicles, the petrol-electric transmission lost favour. Tilling-Stevens discontinued regular production in 1929.
- Road Transport
- Object Number:
- Mr. H.K. Whitehorn.
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.