10 hp two-cylinder Rolls-Royce motor car, 1905; Reg. No. AX148; Chassis No. 20162; 10 hp. This is one of three remaining cars of this type. Its engine drives the rear wheels through a three-speed gearbox, a propeller shaft and a live rear axle. This car was manufactured in Trafford Park, Manchester, in September 1905. The 10hp engine went to test on 19 September 1905. Initially the car was finished as a grey rear entrance tonneau, possibly re-using the Barker body previously fitted to the first (Royce-owned) and third (Edmunds-owned) Royces. The car was registered as AX148 on 13 January 1906. Due to the limited demand for the 10hp car by early 1906, it is believed that this car was used by Henry Royce himself pending sale. Royce was a Captain in the Motor Volunteer Corps and it is thought that he used AX148 in connection with his duties. It was purchased by Paris Eugene Singer on 14 December 1906. In 1920 it was bought by Mr W M Graham of Castle Bromwich. In 1930 its ownership passed to Mr K Kirton, Honiton. In November 1930 it passed to Sir John Prestige. Prestige sold the car to Rolls Royce Ltd in February 1935, who subsequently presented it to the Science Museum.
- Road Transport
- Object Number:
- Rolls-Royce Ltd.
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.