Flat footed rail with two chairs and two keys, 1840

Flat footed rail with two chairs and two keys, 1840

This piece of rail and the two chairs formed part of the permanent way of the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway, opened in 1840. This was probably the first instance of a flat-footed rail being set in chairs.

In 1865 some of these rails were sold to the Groby Granite Company, by whom these examples were used.

Details

Category:
Railway Infrastructure
Object Number:
1892-109
credit:
Stretton, Clement E.
status:
Permanent collection

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.