Selector switch, made by the Clark Automatic Telephone Company, United States, 1903. From automatic interdepartmental telephone switchboard installed at Guy's Hospital, February, 1903.
This is a selector switch comprising part of the internal telephone system used at Guy's Hospital between 1903 and 1932. It was a simple switch, which although not suitable for public exchanges, was useful for exchanges within a single building. Rotating the dial on a telephone to the number needed wound a spring inside the telephone, which drove a toothed wheel. Electrical impulses were sent to an electromagnet in the selector switch for each tooth that was passed, which then connected the telephone to the number called.
- Object Number:
- electric switch
- component - object
- Donated by The Governors of Guy's Hospital
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.