Bell from CS Faraday, sunk 1941, made by Palmer's Shipbuilding and Iron Company, Hebburn, England, 1923.
The Cable Ship 'Faraday' was built in 1923 to replace an ageing cable ship of the same name. It was owned by Siemens Brothers, and was nearly 400 feet long. It was used to lay many submarine cables during its time in service. In 1939, it was used to recover 265 nautical miles of German submarine cable to help disrupt enemy communications. On 25 March 1941, it was sunk by a German plane. Its wreck now lies under the cliffs at Hoopers Point, Pembrokeshire.
- Object Number:
- furnishing and equipment
- sound device
- struck idiophone
- percussion idiophone
- Donated by GEC-AEI Telecommunications Limited
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.