Director switching device, made by the Automatic Telephone Manufacturing Company, Edge Hill, Liverpool, England, 1927. From the first London director exchange at Holborn. With case.
The Director telephone system was used in some large cities in Britain between the 1920s and the 1970s. In large conurbations there were many telephone exchanges and special means were needed to connect any two callers together. Within such areas, a switching device called a director routed telephone calls between exchanges that were not directly connected with each other. A three-letter code identified each exchange. The first director exchange in Europe was opened at Holborn Exchange, London, in 1927.
- Object Number:
- electric switch
- component - object
- Donated by the Post Office Telecommunications Museum
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.