Post Office telephone kiosk No. 6, introduced in 1936, with crown motifs to top panels (the Queen's Crown of Scotland), designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott for the General Post Office, made by the Carron Company, Falkirk, Scotland, c.1971
Post Office telephone kiosk No. 6, introduced in 1936 with crown motifs in the top panel, designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott for the General Post Office, made by the Carron Company, Falkirk, Scotland, 1936-1968.
The K6 kiosk is the most common red telephone box found in Britain. It was designed in 1936 by the architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, for the Silver Jubilee of King George V. It was the first kiosk to be widely installed: there had been restrictions on how many kiosks could be installed due to the high cost.
The Post Office introduced concessions allowing all towns and villages with a Post Office to apply for telephone kiosks: 8,000 were installed as part of the Jubilee concession. In total, around 60,000 K6 kiosks were installed across the UK, with over 10,000 still around today. The boxes themselves were made by a Scottish company, Carron Steel, with the internal fixtures and fitting being provided by the Post Office.
- Object Number:
- telephone box
- built environment - hierarchy name
- single built work- hierarchy name
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.