'The Palmer Injector' with instruction leaflet in original box. The object simplifies and improves the process of self-injection. In the form of a gun which can be operated with either hand in any part of the body, by Palmer Injectors Ltd, 1950-79.
Charles Palmer, a diabetic, invented this device in 1955 to make self-administered insulin injections easier. People with diabetes need regular insulin injections to normalise their blood sugar levels. In Palmer’s device, the syringe is attached to the gun-shaped steel handle, which can be used in either hand, and applied to any part of the body. ‘The Palmer Injector’ was also used to give diphtheria vaccinations and injections of the antibiotic penicillin.
If you are visiting to see this object, please contact us in advance to make sure that it will be on display.
- Object Number:
injector: 113 mm x 160 mm x 37 mm, .1125 kg
- Unknown source
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.