Model, scale 1:5, Pelton wheel turbine, with separate base and associated drawing. The model, by Peter Koch, Victor Gelpke and Paul Kagel, Germany, 1907-1917, represents an installation by Messrs. Amme, Giesecke and Konegen of Brunswick, invented by Lester Allan Pelton. Part sectioned to show Pelton wheel.
Model (scale 1:5) of Pelton wheel casing in section, centrifugal governor, actuating servo-motor nozzle regulator, on base representing floor of power house supported by moulded oak plinth. The Pelton wheel was designed by the American mining engineer Lester Pelton (1829-1908) and was often used to produce electricity in hydroelectric power stations. Water held in a reservoir above the turbine is released and enters the turbine through two nozzles. It hits hemispherical cups arranged round the circumference of a wheel, causing the wheel to turn. This model shows a Pelton wheel connected to a generator - this was a very effective arrangement, giving 80% efficiency over a wide range of loads.
- Motive Power
- Object Number:
- Dimes, C.W.
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF