Heslop's winding and pumping engine, 1795. The winding and pumping engine was erected about 1795 by Adam Heslop at Kells Pit, Whitehaven, where it worked for many years; subsequently used at other pits (Castlerigg Pit?; 1837, Wreah Pit, Whingill?). The arrangement is a combination of a single acting high-pressure cylinder with a Newcomen cylinder; patented by Heslop in 1790, although it would appear to have been an infringement of Watt's patent for the separate condenser which remained in force till 1800. Made at the Lowca Foundry/Engineering Works c. 1790.
- Motive Power
- Object Number:
- stationary engine
- The Earl of Lonsdale
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.