Trabant P601 Two Door Saloon, 1986. Reg. No. D799 NCV. Chassis No.36084342. The Trabant was first introduced in 1959, in what was then East Germany (German Democratic Republic) and continued to be produced until 1991. They have become typified as the symbol of Eastern European motoring before the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, partly because of the legendry long wait for a new one (up to 15yrs), partly because they lasted so long, but also because so many were seen to come out of East German in 1989. This example has a two-stroke 594cc engine and was produced in 1986 and exported from East Germany to Cornwall in 1992.
- Road Transport
- Object Number:
- furnishing and equipment
- vehicle - transportation
- land vehicle
- passenger vehicle
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.