Copper radiofrequency cavity used in the Large Electron Positron (LEP) Accelerator, made by CERN in Geneva, Switzerland, in approx 1988-89
The Large Electron-Positron Collider was one of the largest particle accelerators ever built. LEP collided electrons with positrons and four large detectors, ALEPH, DELPHI, L3, and OPAL, observed and recorded the results of these collisions. LEP consisted of 5176 magnets and 128 accelerating cavities. LEP was commissioned in 1898 and the first beam circulated in the collider on 14th July. After eleven years of experiments LEP was closed down to make way for the construction of the Large Hadron Collider.
- Nuclear Physics
- Object Number:
- European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN)
- Permanent collection
- Unknown Copyright holder
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.