Edison Swan electric bulb, John Rylands Library
- Around 1900
Edison Swan electric bulb with bayonet fitting. Half of the glass lamp has been darkened to create a dimming effect. Removed from the John Rylands Library around 1993.
In Manchester, Enriqueta Rylands chose electric bulbs to light the library she built in memory of her husband John. Mrs Rylands appointed Charles Hopkinson as consulting engineer for the electrical installation in April 1895. Hopkinson planned the electrical system at the library, which was one of the first public buildings in Manchester to have electric lights.
This bulb is one of a set of early electric bulbs that were removed from the library around 1993.
- Object Number:
- Gift of Ms. J. Yallop
- Permanent collection
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF