bank of 50 Keith Line Switches, 1920-1925

Made:
1920-1925 in Chicago

Bank of 50 Keith Line Switches recovered from a rural exchange in New Zealand, made by the Automatic Electric Company, Chicago, United States, 1920-1925.

The line switch, devised by Alexander Keith of the Strowger Company in 1906, obviated the need for each user's line to be connected to a more expensive selector switch. The number of selector switches employed henceforth only needed to be sufficient to handle the maximum number of calls expected at any one time. This bank of line switches was part of the main telephone exchange in Wanganui, New Zealand, until the mid-1990s. Similar line switches were installed at Epsom and other trial automatic exchanges in Britain from 1912.

On display

Science Museum: Information Age Gallery: Exchange

If you are visiting to see this object, please contact us in advance to make sure that it will be on display.

Details

Category:
Telecommunications
Object Number:
1990-420/1
Materials:
copper (alloy), iron, metal (unknown), paint, textile, wood (unidentified)
type:
electric switch
taxonomy:
  • component - object
credit:
Donated by Waikanae District Museum Limited
status:
Permanent collection

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.