Main component of Siemens ‘Elmiskop 1’ electron microscope
Main component of Siemens Elmiskop 1 electron microscope, the first electron microscope used in the Department of Human Anatomy at Oxford, c. 1950
An electron microscope uses a beam of electrons, instead of light, to produce highly magnified images of objects. Electrons have a much smaller wavelength than visible light. This allows a much higher resolution to be achieved. The instrument was first developed by Ernst Ruska (1906-88) in Berlin in the early 1930s. The Siemens company made the first commercial machines later in the decade. Ruska returned to designing electron microscopes with Siemens after the Second World War. The Elmiskop 1 of 1954 was their first innovation. It became a worldwide success. It was the first microscope with a ‘double condenser’. This allowed routine electron diffraction. This microscope was the first electron microscope used in the Department of Human Anatomy at Oxford University.
- Microscopy (Wellcome)
- Object Number:
- 1982-317 Pt4
- aluminium alloy, copper (alloy), enamel, glass, metal (ferrous), plastic (unidentified), rubber (unidentified), wood (unidentified)
- electron microscope
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- scientific equipment
- University of Oxford. Dept. of Human Anatomy
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.