Forceps, obstetrical, Anderson, steel, nickel-plated, by Reynolds and Branson, British, early 20th century
Obstetrical forceps grip the baby’s head during difficult childbirths. Many variations appeared from the 1700s. C L Anderson (1843-1900) invented this type of forceps in 1879 drawing on several contemporary designs.
In Anderson’s version, the blades can be separated and inserted into the body one at a time or used together. The finger ring improves grip and lengthens the handle. Forceps made from nickel-plated steel could be sterilised without rusting. They were made by Reynolds and Branson Ltd.
- Science Museum, Making the Modern World Gallery
- Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Contraception
- Object Number:
- obstetrical forceps, obstetrics (instruments) anderson, obstetrical forceps, obstetrics (instruments)
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- medical instrument
- obstetrical instrument
- Loan: Wellcome Trust
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.