Tootal Broadhurst Lee Company Limited became a limited liability company in 1888. The partnership consisted of Sir Joseph C Lee, Henry Tootal Broadhurst, Henry Lee, Edward Tootal Broadhurst, Harold Lee and Dr Lennox Lee. The company was formed out of the old company of Tootal, Broadhurst, Lee and Co and Lee Spinning Company.
In 1963 Tootal joined the English Sewing Cotton Company, which had been incorporated on the 16th July 1897 a change of name was further registered on the 24th May 1968 when the company became known as English Calico Ltd before eventually becoming known as Tootal Limited, on the 15th June 1973 becoming a plc in 1985 and known as Tootal Group Plc
The group was acquired by Coats Viyella Plc in 1991.