Fine Spinners and Doublers Limited
Formed in 1898 as a Association by a group of spinning companies with the objective of promoting the interests of cotton spinners in the North West. The various companies and firms initially involved specialised in spinning fine (Sea Island) cotton.
The driving forces behind the establishment of the Association were Herbert Dixon and Scott Lings in 1897. Businesses joining in Fine Spinners and Doublers from its foundation included A. and G. Murray, Thomas Houldsworth and Co, C. E. Bennett and Co, James and Wainwright Bellhouse, and McConnel and Co. Rapid expansion in the following years encompassed many more firms.
Fine Spinners and Doublers enjoyed a huge advantage due to its size. Being much larger than its competitors enabled it to secure cotton supplies from Sea Island and Egypt. Until c1930 it was the world's largest cotton-spinning concern, operating 60 mills and employing a workforce of 30,000 operatives.
In 1946 the name of the business was changed to Fine Spinners' and Doublers' Limited and enjoyed a brief period of prosperity before being purchased by Courtaulds in 1963.