J & N Philips & Co Ltd
Textile manufacturer based in Manchester. The company was established in 1747 in Staffordshire by John Philips and Nathaniel Philips, who were later joined by their brother Thomas Philips.
The family went on to establish smallware weaving concerns at Radcliffe and Whitefield, and Manchester and a hatting business under the name of Thomas and Nathaniel Philips. The main Manchester firm of J. and N. Philips became a nationwide merchanting and manufacturing enterprise. The company closed in 1970.