Robertson, Henry 1816 - 1888
1816-1888, civil engineer, Scottish
Henry Robertson was born in Banff, Scotland in 1816. He initially worked as a mining engineer, later becoming more involved in railways. In c.1842, he invested in the restoration of the derelict Brymbo ironworks in Denbighshire, and became involved in improving the railway lines on the Welsh border. Robertson was chairman of three of the railway companies of north Wales as well as the Wirral Railways Company; chairman of the Minera Lime Company, the Broughton and Plas Power Coal Company, the Brymbo Steel Company, and the Brymbo Water Company; and director of the Wrexham, Mold, and Connah's Quay Railway Company.
In 1855, he was brought in as a partner to Beyer and Peacock's Gorton factory in Manchester, and maintained an active role in the company's management until his death. He was also a partner in the firm of Robertson and Mackintosh, civil engineers, with offices in London.
In the 1880s, Robertson developed the Brymbo ironworks into the largest steelworks in north Wales, and had also acquired a number of collieries.
He was also an active politician, elected to represent Shrewsbury as a Liberal in parliament 1862–5 and 1874–85. In 1885 he was elected MP for Merioneth. He was a JP for Merioneth and Denbighshire.
Robertson died in 1888 at his mansion, Crogen, near Palé, Llandderfel, Merioneth.