J. & J. Cash Ltd
1846-current, ribbon manufacturer, Coventry.
Establised by two Quaker brothers, John and Joseph Cash. Originally, they distributed the silk to workers who owned their own jacquard looms, and a fixed price was paid for each piece.
In 1857, they began building a factory on Kingfield Road, which they occupied for 138 years. The factory was situated above a row of weavers' cottages and was known as Cash's Topshops.
In 1860, the Free Trade Bill allowed continental ribbons to flood the English market and many established Coventry firms collapsed. Cash's responded by switching production to narrow frillings, to Victorian silk commemoratives and woven labels and nametape.