Sir Alexander Gibb and Partners
Sir Alexander Gibb and Partners, a British firm of Consulting Civil Engineers, was founded by Scottish civil engineer, Alexander Gibb (1872-1958) in 1922. The company became the largest consulting civil engineering firm in the United Kingdom and was involved in projects all over the world. They were based at Queen Anne's Lodge, Queen Anne's Gate and subsequently Telford House, Tothill Street, Westminster, London until 1974, when it relocated to Earley House, 427 London Road, Reading, Berkshire.
In the 1930's, in addition to heavy civil engineering, under the direction of Hugh Beaver, the firm brought together architecture and mechanical services with civil engineering, and so was able to offer to industrial clients a complete service. In 1939, they designed 3 large Ordnance factories for the Ministry of Supply; three other smaller factories followed later. The same year Hugh Eyre Campbell Beaver was a partner of the company.
Other notable designs were the Kincardine Bridge, Guinness and Co's brewery at Park Royal, the Captain Cook graving dock at Sydney, the Singapore naval base, supervision of construction of Phoenix units for the Mulberry harbours and an underground factory for aeroplane engines at Corsham.
The Company became incorporated in 1986 becoming Sir Alexander Gibb and Partners Ltd.