British Cotton and Wool Dyers Association
Formed in 1900 for the purposes of acquiring 46 companies engaged in the trade. The original business base was the commission dyeing of customers’ yarns and materials. By the 1970s it traded in a wide variety of dyed yarns, both natural and man-made, and its subsidiaries were involved in timber merchanting, engineering, kitchen furniture manufacture, and manufacture and retailing associated with the tweed and knitwear trade of the Scottish Borders. By 1983 the company was in receivership.