Devonport Dockyard 1843
1843-current , Royal Naval dockyard, ship / boat construction and repairs, Plymouth, Devon, England, British
1843 - name changed from Plymouth Dock to Devonport Royal Dockyard. Construction started on the Keyham (steam) Yard, linked to the main dockyard by a tunnel.
1853 - Keyham (steam) Yard opened.
1863 - Ocean launched.
1895 - the ram cruiser Arrogant launched.
1896 - the ram cruiser Furious launched.
1898 - the battleship Implacable launched.
1899 - construction work began on the extension of Keyham, Yard.
1902 - the battleship Prince Edward launched.
1905 - Hibernia launched.
1907 - new extension to Keyham Yard officially opened. Temeraire launched.
1908 - Collingwood launched.
1911 - Centurion launched.
1912 - Marlborough launched.
1913 - Warspite launched. Work commenced on a turbine shop to repair and maintain the units responsible for powering the dreadnought battleships.
1914 - Royal Oak launched.
1940 - German bombing raids devastated the south yard.
1956 - the aircraft carrier, the Centaur, entered dry dock for extensive refitting.
1962 - post war reconstruction culminated in the completion of the dockyard wall.
1966 - a new central office block completed.
1968 - Scylla, the last vessel built at the dockyard, launched.
1969 - announcement that the dockyard would become an operational base for nuclear powered submarines.
1973 - Refitting facilities for nuclear submarines commenced.
1977 - new frigate complex opened.
1981 - the new Submarine Refit Complex completed on the old Keyham extension.