Sunderland Borough Council 1832
Sunderland was a borough constituency of the House of Commons, created by the Reform Act 1832. In 1835 the three settlements of Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland and Monkwearmouth were officially joined to become the Parliamentary Borough of Sunderland. The first Mayor Andrew White was elected 1st January 1836. The expansion of the coalmining, chemical and glass industries and shipbuilding led to the growth of the central area of Sunderland around the river and port in 18th and 19th centuries.