Manchester Corporation Electricity Department
Powers were granted in 1890. The Electricity Department was originally under the control of the Sub-Committee of the Gas Department. It was not until 1897 that it had its own standing Committee. The first generating station was located at Dickinson Street and opened in 1893, supplying electricity on the 1st August. The corporation built a further two power generating stations at Bloom Street opened in 1901 and Stuart Street opened in 1900.