Muirhead & Co. Ltd
Muirhead & Co. Ltd, electrical measuring and control equipment manufacturers
Muirhead & Co. Ltd. was established by Alexander Muirhead in 1894. In 1896 the company moved to Elmers End in Beckenham, Kent. The company went private in 1904. Prior to the First World War and during the interval between the two wars the Company specialised in the development and manufacture of terminal equipment for submarine cable stations, and in addition it produced a wide range of electrical and scientific instruments. By the 1930's the submarine telegraph section of the communications industry was in decline but by that time the Company had acquired considerable reputation for the precision and accuracy of its electrical and mechanical products.
The company was public in 1960 where they were manufacturers of precision electrical instruments and condensers. Specialised in picture telegraph, measuring and testing equipment for the electrical and communication industries. Muirhead & Co. acquired Addison Electric Co. in 1962 and acquired Vactric Control Equipment in 1972.
Muirhead successfully pioneered Precision R.C. Oscillators, Wave Analysers and other laboratory measuring and test equipment and due to excellence in design and production, a range of voltage standards cells were still being made after more than a century. The company was reformed into Muirhead Aerospace.