The Hydraulic Engineering Company 1874 - 1984

Mechanical engineering firm, manufacturing pumps, valves, compressors and hydraulic equipment.

The Hydraulic Engineering Company grew out of the Flookersbrook Foundry, established c1805, on the site of the present works in Charles Street, Chester. It became a limited company in 1874. Its products included hydraulic lifts, cranes, ramps, presses and dock machinery, which were sold to customers such as the Great Western Railway Company, the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, the Port of London Authority and the Admiralty.

The company also built port installations for use overseas, including in Gibraltar, Malta, Hong Kong, Bombay, Melbourne and Barcelona.