Platt Brothers & Co. Limited
Platt Brothers and Company Limited was the successor limited liability company to Platt Brothers and Company, and operated from1868-1982. Company founder Henry Platt had established his first company in 1821. He formed a partnership with Elijah Hibbert in 1822, with the company name of Hibbert and Platt.
Henry Platt's sons Joseph and John Platt joined the company and the name changed to Hibbert, Platt and Sons. In 1846, John Platt became the senior partner, following the deaths of his father and elder brother. In 1854, the Platt family bought out the Hibbert family interest in the company and formed Platt Brothers and Company and from 1868 traded as a limited liability company.
Because of the depression and subsequent downturn in trade during the 1930s a trading company was formed by a number of local textile machinery makers and resulted in the formation of the Textile Machinery Makers Ltd in 1931. Although they had merged the companies continued to trade under their own names until 1970. The subsequent rationalisation resulted in a change of name to Platt UK Ltd.