Lancaster & Carlisle Railway
The Lancaster and Carlisle Railway was authorised on 6 June 1844. It originated when in 1839 government commissioners were appointed to choose between east and west coast routes to Scotland and advocated both. Between Lancaster and Carlisle was the most easterly of three alternatives was selected, the four existing west coast companies made substantial contributions to the Lancaster and Carlisle’s capital of £900, 000. The Lancaster and Carlisle Railway was engineered by Joseph Locke with Thomas Brassey as Contactor. In 1859 the company leased itself to the London North Western Railway and in 1879 it was acquired outright by them.