Stavert, Zigomala & Co.
Stavert, Zigomala & Co. was a 'merchant-converter' firm based in Manchester. This meant that they traded cotton piece goods that they produced themselves.
The original partnership of William Shorter Stell, Stephen Madison Buckingham, Robert Stavert, John Copeland Zigomala and John Watson was established in around 1837. The firm's offices were at 101 Portland Street and then 6 Minshull Street. This partnership was later dissolved in 1849 after this the new company became known as Stavert Zigomala & Co.
After the Second World War, the cotton industry was expected to bounce back to previous levels of production. However, this was not the case and Stavert, Zigomala's business suffered. Large-scale trade proved difficult to find. Business gradually declined through the 1950s owing to the development of cotton industries in Eastern and Third World countries. Stavert, Zigomala lost its last remaining and most important market as a result of the Cuban Revolution in 1959. The new Cuban government introduced protectionist economic policies and the United States responded with a trade embargo.
Stavert, Zigomala downsized its business, moving to smaller rented premises close to the Minshull Street warehouse and eventually became an investment holdings firm.