G L Ashworth and Brothers Limited 1861 - 1968

Nationality:
British
based:
Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

Manufacturer of ceramics, earthenware

1859-1862 - traded as Morley & Ashworth; 1862-1968 - G. L. Ashworth & Bros, becoming a limited company in 1914; 1968 - known as Mason's Ironstone China; The factory was at Broad Street Works, Hanley, in the Staffordshire Potteries area; Acquired by the Waterford-Wedgwood Company, subsequently closed and the site cleared in 1999. 1830s - Francis Morley bought up the moulds and patterns of Mason's. 1857- Taylor Ashworth joined the business and became a partner. Morley retired in 1863, and George Leach Ashworth bought the business for his sons, trading under the name Geo. L. Ashworth and Brothers; other brothers were James and Taylor Ashworth.

The latter was instrumental in extending the scope of the business and, in addition to table wares and kitchen utensils, chemical goods, sanitary wares and electrical insulators were produced.