Established as a silk printing business in 1781 by William Asprey in Mitcham, South London. The company subsequently expanded into working with metals after William was joined by his son and grandson, both Charles. In 1841 Asprey began working with a stationer in Bond Street but six years later branched out again to work independently at 167 New Bond Street. In 1859 they took over Edwards, a luxury dressing case manufacturer and subsequently Leuchars & Sons, Houghton & Gunn and William Payne & Co. In 1862 the company was granted a Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria having won a gold medal at that year's International Exhibition. The company is famed for their rich and famous clientele.