Rugby Test Station 1948 - 1970

Nationality:
British
based:
Rugby, Warwickshire, England, United Kingdom

Testing Station just outside of Rugby. It was the idea of Sir Nigel Gresley, Chief Mechanical Engineer of the LNER. Building started in 1936 as a joint project with the LMS railway, but was stopped during the war. The site opened in 1948 under British Railways. Testing of Steam and Diesel locomotives continued until 1965 but the station did not officially close until 1970. The building was demolished in 1984