Slade School of Fine Art 1871
- English; British
- London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
1868 - Felix Slade's legacy of three Chairs in Fine Art (Oxford, Cambridge and London), with studentships only at London. Founding Committee at UCL radically addresses issues of art education. 1871 - School opens with Sir Edward Poynter first Slade Professor. 1880 - North Wing built, providing for major expansion of School. 1929 - Stage painting introduced under Vladimir Polunin (earlier with Diaghilev). 1939-48 - Slade evacuated to Ruskin School, Oxford. 1960-1978 Postgraduate Diploma in Film Studies (specialising in documentary)introduced, under Thorold Dickinson. 1966 - Reg Butler, Director of Sculpture Studies. Higher Diploma in Fine Art (HDFA) introduced. 1975 - Slade Diploma upgraded to BA (Hons). 1985 - Slade Summer School began. 1989 - School vacates Pearson building studios. Postgraduate painting moves to ex-Courtauld Institute galleries, Woburn Square. 1994-1995 - Slade interior remodelled; new studios constructed, new sculpture block; accommodation for new areas of history and theory of art and electronic media. 2004-2005 - Major development of facilities and infrastructure for research. 2009 - Introduction of three-year BFA in Fine Art.