Devonport Dockyard

industry:
Dockyard,
Ship / boat construction,
Ship / boat repairs
Nationality:
British

1843 - name changed from Plymouth Dock to Devonport Royal Dockyard. Construction started on the Keyham (steam) Yard, linked to the main dockyard by a tunnel. 1853 - Keyham (steam) Yard opened. 1863 - Ocean launched. 1895 - the ram cruiser Arrogant launched. 1896 - the ram cruiser Furious launched. 1898 - the battleship Implacable launched. 1899 - construction work began on the extension of Keyham, Yard. 1902 - the battleship Prince Edward launched. 1905 - Hibernia launched. 1907 - new extension to Keyham Yard officially opened. Temeraire launched. 1908 - Collingwood launched. 1911 - Centurion launched. 1912 - Marlborough launched. 1913 - Warspite launched. Work commenced on a turbine shop to repair and maintain the units responsible for powering the dreadnought battleships. 1914 - Royal Oak launched. 1940 - German bombing raids devastated the south yard. 1956 - the aircraft carrier, the Centaur, entered dry dock for extensive refitting. 1962 - post war reconstruction culminated in the completion of the dockyard wall. 1966 - a new central office block completed. 1968 - Scylla, the last vessel built at the dockyard, launched. 1969 - announcement that the dockyard would become an operational base for nuclear powered submarines. 1973 - Refitting facilities for nuclear submarines commenced. 1977 - new frigate complex opened. 1981 - the new Submarine Refit Complex completed on the old Keyham extension.