William Hutton & Sons

industry:
Silver plater,
Silversmith
Nationality:
British
based:
London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom

The firm was established in Birmingham in 1800 by William Hutton, and was transferred to Sheffield in 1832. Addresses include West Street, Sheffield and Hanley Street, Birmingham. London Office: 11 Warwick Court, High Holborn, WC1. (1922) Showrooms: 7 Farringdon Road, London, EC (1914). The firm became William Hutton & Sons in 1864 and William Hutton & Sons Ltd from 1893 to 1930. In 1930 goodwill transferred to James Dixon & Sons Ltd. In the late 19th century Hutton’s developed a new nickel alloy that could be used for plating called British Plate which is marked ‘BP’ on flatware.