Hudswell Clarke & Co 1860 - 1973

Nationality:
British
based:
Leeds, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom

Hudswell and Clarke was inititally founded in 1860, by W.S. Hudswell and John Clarke. Subsequesntly, in 1870, the name was changed to Hudswell, Clarke and Rogers and then, in 1881, to Hudswell Clarke and Company. The firm became a limited company in 1899. Hudswell Clarke continued in the locomotive building trade until 1973, having become part of the Trind Group in 1968. The locomotive side of the business is now owned by the Hunslet Group.