Grundy & Fox 1827 - 1831
- Manchester, Manchester urban district, Greater Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Established by John Clowes Grundy and Charles Fox in 1827. Premises at 25 St Ann's Square (1828) and 15 Exchange Street (1830). The company was in the Manchester Guardian in April 1827 as being carvers and gilders, colourmen to artists, printsellers and opticians. Grundy & Fox sold, among other things, Ackermann’s and Newman’s superfine watercolours, Turnbull’s London drawing boards, Whatman’s superior drawing paper, Brookman & Langdon’s drawing pencils, and Brown’s bladder colours. And advert in Pigot’s General Directory of Manchester and Salford for 1829 mentions a service for cleaning, lining and restoring pictures. Grundy & Fox were appointed carvers and gilders to George IV at Manchester in 1829. The company was dissolved in 1831, with Charles Fox going on to trade independently as an artists’ colourman and Grundy being appointed as carver, gilder and print seller to William IV.